Need a Top-Rated Roofer in Jarrettsville?
In this article, we would like to review the most popular styles of roofs in Harford County, Maryland. Weve had the privilege of serving thousands of homeowners in the Greater Baltimore area with their roofing needs. Through our experience as a Jarrettsville roofing contractor, we would like to share with you the most popular roof styles for the local area.
Different Versions of Asphalt Shingles
The most popular type of roof in Harford County is hands down asphalt shingles. If you drive anywhere in Harford County you will see that most roofs look similar. These are asphalt type roofs. If you care to take a moment to compare each homes roof you will see that some look different.
Three-Tab Asphalt Shingles
Three-tab shingles are a flat shingle that has a uniform shape and size. Roofs with this type of shingle have a checkered pattern. They look very flat with hardly any points of interest. Most neighborhoods in Harford County were built with this type of shingle originally.
The cost of these shingles is lower than its counterpart but their warranty and life expectancy is much less. A lot of homes in Harford County have the original three-tab shingles on their home from 20 years ago. This is really pushing their life expectancy of 15-20 years that is associated with three-tab shingles.
These shingles seem to be the favored shingle for homeowners looking to replace their current roof in Harford County. An architectural shingle, also known as a dimensional shingle, has variance in each shingle which gives the roof a more organic and pleasing visual. These are also made of asphaltic material, but they are meant to mimic more traditional roofing materials such as wood shakes from old.
The cost is more when compared to three-tab shingles, but the quality of the product and life expectancy is much longer. Depending on the product, most dimensional or architectural shingles can last over 25 years and have a warranty to back them up. Keep in mind this all depends on which manufacturer of shingle product is chosen.
Things To Consider When Choosing Your Shingle
- What shape and color do you want? A roof can make a home pop if the shape and color are chosen correctly. Take your time and chose a product that will fit your needs.
- What are the wind and hail damage qualities on the shingle? Different shingles have different attributes associated with wind and hail damage resistance that can resist the amount of roof repair in Jarrettsville you will need.
- What is the fire resistance of the shingle? Shingles vary in their fire resistance. Organic shingles such as natural wood shakes are very susceptible to fire while other materials such as asphalt and slate have much lower issues.
- Durability – What kind of warranty does the shingle have? Does the manufacturer back up their product? If so, what are their reviews? Take time to do your research.
- Algae Resistance – Some roofs offer limited warranties associated with algae resistance.
Tar Heel Construction Installs New Roofs
We take great pride in serving the local Harford County and Baltimore County Communities. We have over 15 years of experience in the trade and would love to speak with you. Our office is based in Bel Air, Maryland and we service many residents and business owners with their exterior remodeling needs.