In this post, we will look at the most common roofing styles in Baltimore County. We have had the pleasure of assisting hundreds of Greater Baltimore customers with Perry Hall roof repair and roofing installation and replacement. We want to share with you the most popular roof types in the region.
Types of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are the most common roof material around. In fact, many roof types look the same to most people. Asphalt roofing. If you compare the roofs of each home, you will see that some are different.
Three-tab shingles are flat, homogeneous shingles. This shingle has a checkered design. They appear flat with few points of interest. Originally, this shingle was used in most residential communities. These shingles are less expensive but have a shorter guarantee and life expectancy. Many homes still retain the original three-tab shingles from 20 years ago. This reduces their life expectancy of 15-20 years from three-tab shingles.
Composition Roofing Shingles
These shingles seem to be the preferred choice for roofing in Perry Hall. This provides the roof a more organic and appealing appearance. These are similarly asphaltic but are designed to resemble older roofing materials like wood shakes. The cost is more than three-tab shingles, but the product quality and lifespan are considerably better. Most dimensional or architectural shingles have a 25-year guarantee and come in a variety of colors. Keep in mind that this varies on the shingle maker.
Considerations When Choosing a Shingle
- So, what do you want? A roof’s shingles and color may make a house “pop.” Choose a product that meets your needs.
- How resistant is the shingle to wind and hail damage? Wind and hail resistance varies among shingles.
- How fire resistant is the shingle? Shingles’ fire resistance varies. Organic shingles like natural wood shakes are very flammable but asphalt and slate are not.
- Durability – What is the shingle’s warranty? Is the manufacturer’s product backed? If so, what do they say? Do your homework.
- Resistant to Algae – Some roofs offer limited warranties associated with algae resistance.
Tar Heel Construction Installs the Best New Roofing Systems!
We are proud to serve the roofing requirements of the Harford and Baltimore Counties. We are GAF Master Elite Certified roofing contractors in Perry Hall and have over 15 years of industry expertise and would love to talk to you. Our office is based in Bel Air, Maryland and we service many residents and business owners with their exterior remodeling needs.